Sandcasting for Kids Programs
School and Organization Field Trips
Looking for a fun and interesting field trip this year? Why not chose Benzaiten’s Sandcasting for Kids Program? Grown-ups usually have all the fun when it comes to glass art but now kids can try their hand at glass design too!
Why the Sandcasting for Kids Program?
The Sandcasting for Kids Program is a one-of-a-kind glass program in Palm Beach County. There is no other program like it.
- This program is only offered at the Benzaiten Center for Creative Arts
- Children work with professional artists to create their own works of art
- This program encourages children to express themselves and take risks in creating art. This will help them develop a sense of innovation that will be important later in their lives
- Children will learn descriptive words to explain their own creations when talking about what they made. This type of program encourages a different type of language development.
- This program allows children to experience making decisions and choices in the course of creating art which carries over into other parts of their lives. Experimenting and trying new and creative things gives their creativity a chance to blossom.
- Working with this type of visual art will teach children how to interpret, compliment, and use visual information to help make choices based on visual learning. It’s important in helping them become smart consumers and navigate a world filled with marketing products and logos.
Before the glass artists work with the children on the “Sandcasting for Kids” program, they will discuss the materials used in sandcasting as well as the science behind the art of glass making including its composition and chemistry.
The artist will also discuss the history of glass making from 2,000 years ago to now.
How did glass artists first start?
What did they make back then and how was it used in their everyday lives?
How is glass making used in our lives today?
The children will also learn the current fundamentals of glass production. The artists will narrate and demonstrate how hot molten glass is transformed into a beautiful object before their very eyes.
That is the first step to sparking the imaginations of what the children can do.
Then the hands-on portion of the “Sandcasting for Kids” program begins.
- Children will experience the construction of sand molds.
- They can choose to make their own hand print, bring a small toy from home or pick something from our glass studio to make their own sand mold.
- As a group, the children will choose a color for the glass.
- Working one-on-one with the artists, each child will create their own art by making a mold in the sand.
- The Benzaiten artist will pour the hot molten glass into the molds each child has created.
Just imagine how excited the children will be while watching their design take shape!
Read our testimonials
"One family drove all the way from Loxahatchee. The kids were very excited to learn about sand casting and would make the drive again to do it!"
The glassblowers answered questions at age appropriate levels, for example, when asked if the molten glass was a different substance from glass, they made the comparison of ice to water and glass to molten glass.
The kids love picking out their own items to cast from the shell, sand dollar, and star fish provided for them to mold.
The parents were very appreciative of the opportunity as they would not have been able to afford this for their children to do something like this. The kids also would like to say thank you for allowing them to learn how glass can be shaped and being able to actually take a finished piece home.
All of the parents and kids would recommend the program and would very much like to do it again.